Friday, September 28, 2012

Review: Through To You

Through To You
by Emily Hainsworth
Pages: 272
Release Date: October 2, 2012
by Balzer + Bray

Goodreads / Amazon
Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. Viv was the last good thing in his life: helping him rebuild his identity after a career-ending football injury, picking up the pieces when his home life shattered, and healing his pain long after the meds wore off. And now, he’d give anything for one more glimpse of her. But when Cam makes a visit to the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees some kind of apparition. And it isn’t Viv.

The apparition’s name is Nina, and she’s not a ghost. She’s a girl from a parallel world, and in this world, Viv is still alive. Cam can’t believe his wildest dreams have come true. All he can focus on is getting his girlfriend back, no matter the cost. But things are different in this other world: Viv and Cam have both made very different choices, things between them have changed in unexpected ways, and Viv isn’t the same girl he remembers. Nina is keeping some dangerous secrets, too, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with who this Viv has become and the part Nina played in his parallel story, he’s forced to choose—stay with Viv or let her go—before the window closes between them once and for all.

*Huge thank you to Montana @ The Book Belles for sending me an ARC of this book!*

Coming into this book, I was a little nervous. I’ve never read a contemporary book from a guy’s point of view, so I didn’t think I would like it very much. But I ended up enjoying it.

I’ve never read a book like this before, and it was a good introduction to the genre. It was kind of contemporary/sci-fi, and that’s an extremely imaginative idea, so I really appreciate that. The writing was really good, as was the story line. Several things that happened I didn’t see coming at all.
If you are looking for a light, fun read I wouldn’t recommend this one, because let me tell you, it’s sad. One problem that I had with this book is the world changing. It took me a while to understand which world Cam was in. It was also kind of slow-paced throughout, but other than that it was pretty good.

In this book, Hainsworth kind of portrays Viv as not such a great person. I’m sure that in the real world Viv is really nice, but in the alternate universe she’s really mean. I can understand why Hainsworth makes her out to be like that, but I didn’t particularly like it.
Cam is a really good character, I think. I’m actually surprised how much I liked him as the main character. And seriously, I felt so bad for the guy.
I also really liked Nina. She’s my favorite character of the book, and with good cause. She’s smart, grounded, and a good person. Go Nina!

This book has an ending that can only be called a “Happily Ever After” ending, and I’m so glad. For a debut, Hainsworth did an excellent job.




3.5 pink flowers

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is nice to have a happily ever after lol, I am really interested in reading this one because it has such a unique plot (at least in my opinion) I haven't read anything like it and I am always a sucker for a book with the main character or narrator as a guy since there isn't as many out there. Awesome review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Reading the blurb, I was sure it was going to be another of those darn "happily never after" stories. But now that you say that it isn't, I might just check it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you have it backwards. I said it DID have a "happily ever after" ending LOL

      Delete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates