Monday, July 8, 2013

The Reviewers' Roundtable - Books To Movies



The Reviewers' Roundtable is our version of a weekly feature where we discuss a book related/blogging topic.


Meet the Reviewers:
Michelle from Pink Polka Dot Blog (Thursdays)
Emily from Read Your Bookcase (Fridays)
And me (Emily) from Emily's Crammed Bookshelf (Mondays)



This is probably one of the most popular kind of discussion posts.  Books To Movies.  Either you hate 'em or you love 'em.  But what, in your opinion, makes a good movie adaptation of a book?  Here's what I think are essential:

Casting.  They have GOT to get the casting right.  If someone is going to be acting in the role of my favorite character, they better look how I imagine the character.  And the actor/actress has to capture the personality of the character.

The story line.  If you're gonna make a movie based on something that has already been worked out, the twists have already been written, and the story is already known, you've GOT TO stick to it.  Don't change it, don't make it so unrecognizable that people watching it who have read the book have no idea what books it's based on.  Keep it simple and stick to the events.  Now, of course, there are some exceptions to this rule lol.

The basic movie expectations.  When you go in to watch a movie you expect good acting, good lines, a good story line, and good camera angles  and shooting.  Of course, that doesn't always happen, but it's expected.




So there are my basic must-haves for books to movies.  It's really simple, but necessary.  I was planning on doing a list of awesome books to movies that I've seen but I'm going to be doing that for Top Ten Tuesday today tomorrow...so I guess I'll just do a list of books that are being made into movies and are coming out soon!



There has been SOO much buzz about this movie on Instagram in recent months. I am so UNBELIEVABLY excited about this movie because the first movie was amazing (even though some things were changed and didn't make much sense) and I just recently read all the books in this series and ugh.  This one is going to be a doozy.












Divergent by Veronica Roth
This book is on the same popular level as the Hunger Games, but, unlike with the Hunger Games, I didn't like this one.  Like at all.  I had a huge problem with the bad staging and too-easy story line and the wooden love interest and the annoying, stuck-up main character.  Nevertheless, I AM excited for the movie because I think that Tris might have a different personality in the movie (yes I know I said above that I didn't want the character's personaly to be changed but in this case it needs to happen) and the actor playing Tobias is HOT!  So I think it will actually be a pretty good movie.









City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
This book/series is SOO popular and hey guess what...I haven't read it yet.  DON'T KILL ME!  The movie is coming out next month (August 21 if I'm not mistaken) so I WIILL be reading it soon.















Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
OH YEAH WHAT UP I HAVE READ THIS BOOK YEP UH HU I'M AWESOME!  Loved this book, I don't know much about the movie because it's a ways away and there hasn't been much hype on Instagram...but yeah.














The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
I'm sure you guys have heard of this one, I'm sure you know it's part of a series, I'm sure you've heard about how the movie for The Lighting Thief SUCKED.  I'm not really that excited for this movie.  They better freaking impress me!













The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I've heard so many great things about John Green's books and about this book...but I haven't freaking read it.  Poo on me.
















So that's it for this discussion!  Now comes you guys. I want to know what you think about books to movies.  What makes a good adaptation in your opinion?  What is your list of essential things in a boo to movie adaptation?

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes you should definitely read TFIOS! It's so sad, but awesome. I am excited about that movie but don't know if I like Shailene Woodley playing Hazel. I am also really excited about them making 13 Reasons Why, The Sky is Everywhere, and If I Stay into movies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT!? THEY'RE MAKING THOSE BOOKS INTO MOVIES TOO!!!???? *happy dance* How did I not know about that lol. I think there's also talk of making Fallen and Delirium into movies. Oh and Hush, Hush too! I forgot to add that one *facepalm* but I don't think those are set in stone yet.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read all of them but I love hearing that a book is going to be made into a movie. I saw Hunger Games and wasn't that impressed...mostly because it made me super motion sick.

    But I love that you put this together - since I don't watch much TV (read instead hehe) I don't catch the trailers until I see them around on peoples book blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really nervous about The Sea of Monsters - I watched TLT before reading the book, so it wasn't until I read the novel that I realized just how terrible the movie was. Let's hope they get things right with the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very, very, VERY low expectations for Sea of Monsters. I read The Lightning Thief before I saw the movie and ugh the movie sucks so much! So yeah, not that excited for Sea of Monsters. And it was such a good book series too! I hate that the movies completely ruined it!

      I still love the books though lol

      Delete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates