Friday, September 6, 2013

{Review} The Fault in our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars
by John Green
Pages: 313
Release Date: January 10, 2012
by Dutton Books (an imprint of Penguin)

Goodreads / Purchase
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.






As a complete book, it isn’t hard to find the right word to describe this story: phenomenal.  But it is hard to describe the little details that made this book phenomenal.  But I’ll try.  The writing, I have to mention right off, was beautiful.  John Green is an amazing writer, and you immediately get sucked into any of his books.  The whole story was just beautiful, if not heartbreaking.  I loved the way the romance grew, I loved the way that Hazel and Augustus talked to each other, I loved the way they made jokes and talked about the universe and had intelligent conversations.  I just loved the book.  It’s those little things that made this book as amazing as it was.  And, even though I spent literally thirty minutes, while I was reading, sobbing, actually sobbing, this book was amazing.  The way the romance grew, and the way the story line flowed and made the book an adventure for Augustus and Hazel was just beautiful.  And heartbreaking.

These characters were the reason I loved this book.  Even though cancer had ruined both of their lives, they remained strong.  Augustus was awesome.  He was so funny and adorable and cute and smart and loving and caring…and gosh just perfect.  The way he treated Hazel and the way they really loved each other was so beautiful to read about.  Hazel was a great main character because she was actually more affected by cancer than he was, in my opinion.  She remained strong and defiant and she was a really intelligent main character.  The ending of this book killed me.

At times I actually found it very hard to write this review because I was thinking of the book and all that happened in it and I know it sounds so cheesy but I almost started to cry several times.  It took me a while to write this review, and I don’t think it does the book justice, but I hope I got across how amazing I thought it was.  I’m actually kind of dreading the movie coming out because I think seeing this book will be worse than reading it, emotion wise.


5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I've read a lot of books, but this is one of my all time favorites; that's not something I can say about very many books. I'll make it simple; I'm a fifteen year old teenage boy. When I usually read a book, I toss it aside and move on to the next one. And, like most teenage boys, I am not very emotional. At the end of this book, I cried. Not just a few tears either; I was full on bawling my eyes out. That's how good this book is. I promise you, unless you have a heart of stone, you will love this book.

    Marlene Detierro (Ptarmigan Hunting Alaska)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one of my favourites, and it made me cry, which doesn't happen very often, lol. John Green's books are perfection.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates